South of France Potatoes Au Gratin
Prep Time 15 min / Cook Time 45 min – 1 hour
- Small sauce pan
- oven safe nonstick 12inch pan or casserole dish of similar size (I highly recommend non-stick skillet for ease of removal and clean up).
- 3 large Russet potatoes peeled and sliced very thin and rinsed and dried
- ½ large onion sliced very thin
- 6 cloves of garlic finely diced
- ½ stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. of South of France
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated or sliced Swiss cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Pre heat oven to 400 F
In a small sauce pan combine milk, cream, garlic and 2 tbsp. of butter over medium low heat and allow to simmer stirring occasionally. Meanwhile using 1 tbsp of butter, butter your skillet or casserole dish. Once buttered add half of your potatoes distributing evenly making sure to cover the bottom for your base layer. For the next layer add onion, 1 tbsp. of South of France, big pinch of salt and pepper, and cheese spreading all ingredients evenly. Spread remaining potatoes for final layer. Slice remaining butter spreading it evenly on top. Then add remaining South of France and salt and pepper to season the top layer. Add warm cream/milk combination and place on middle rack of oven (you may want to place a foil wrapped baking sheet under the pan in case the dairy boils over to prevent smoky kitchen). Allow to bake for 45 min – 1 hour when dairy is absorbed and top is a dark golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes then slice and serve.